Victory Square – West Hartlepool War Memorial
The West Hartlepool monument to the dead of the Great War is in a large public square “Victory Square” created for the purpose. It is granite, with a central obelisk and long lower wings covered with twelve cast metal tablets with the names of the fallen on.
The War Memorial was erected in 1923 by G. Coombes, constructed in Aberdeen granite. The area has recently been re-vamped to include extra memorial plinths dedicated to the dead of World War II.
The north elevation bears the arms of West Hartlepool within a wreath, with the inscription “In grateful remembrance of the men of this town who at their country’s call left all that was dear to them to hazard their lives that others might live in freedom. Their name liveth for evermore.”
The south elevation is surmounted by a cross and a wreath and bears the inscription, “Thine O lord is the victory”.